This section called MAXinterviews aims to inform through experts of the sector. With only 4 questions and answers, we are trying to discover what is happening in the tourism industry emphasizing in the MICE segment and Spain.
If you want to know more about Alicante as Incentive destination, you should take a look at our interview with Raquel Hernández from the Promotions department at the Alicante Convention Bureau. We hope you enjoy this interview!
In your opinion, what are the strengths of Alicante as a MICE destination?
Its strong aspect is that it is one of the few destinations that can claim to offer in unison the following 6 sales arguments:
- International Airport connected with direct flight connections to 125 destinations
- There are flights from Stockholm, Gothenburg, Karstad, Vesteras and Vaxjo through the following airlines: SAS, Norwegian, Finnair and Ryanair
- The unbeatable climate with the Mediterranean as the main stage and its 3000 hours of sun per year, which allows organizing outdoor team building activities on its urban beach
- Its 7000 hotel spaces and more than 2200 bars and restaurants used to work with MICE clients
- A city open all year round with a wide cultural offer and you can use their monuments and museums as unique venues
- The Congress Hall with a capacity to host 1200 delegates
What are the plans of the Alicante Convention Bureau in the near future?
We are focused especially in the promotion in the international market, with the support of 80 private companies of the city that are part of the Alicante Convention Bureau. We will also present the new website, where activities and gastronomy will have a greater importance.
On the other hand, we have incorporated a new unique building to our sales portfolio: the old bus station of the city has been prepared to host MICE events and Alicante Convention Bureau will have the right to offer it to the Event Organizers.
How important are Incentive Trips in Alicante?
Currently 30% of our MICE business are Incentive Trips. As we have said before, clients from the MICE industry are increasingly relying on Alicante thanks to the combination of an good infrastructure in the city, cultural offer, excellent flight connections with Europe and the wide range of activities that our destination offers.
What does the Scandinavian market for tourism in Alicante represent?
It is our main international market, representing 26% of our total overnight stays and also the first international market when it comes to the MICE segment. Thanks to the first start of the Volvo Ocean Race, which took place in 2008, and after successive departures, Alicante was in the mind of many corporate companies and their event organizers and chose our city to do their Incentive Trips and we are so happy about it.